Authentic “North to Alaska!” Experiences Bring Alaskan Lifestyle Onboard; Optional Cruisetours Provide Immersive Land and Sea Exploration
Next summer, six Princess Cruises ships will sail Alaska’s scenic wonderland, offering multiple itinerary options, innovative onboard native cultural experiences and a variety of land and sea vacation packages for further exploring the 49th state’s magnificent interior.
The line’s signature Voyage of the Glaciers itinerary, with its unrivaled glacier-viewing opportunities, will be offered on Coral Princess, Star Princess and Island Princess between Whittier (Anchorage) and Vancouver; while cruises through the Inside Passage, with its ever-changing scenery from picturesque shores to friendly coastal towns, will be offered aboard Ruby Princess and Crown Princess from Seattle and Grand Princess from San Francisco.
While onboard, as part of Princess’ immersive North to Alaska! Program, guests will experience expanded Alaska seafood offerings, with signature dishes from local chefs and restaurants; unique interactions with Alaskans including crabbers who appeared on Discovery’s Deadliest Catch and Iditarod winner Libby Riddles; and onboard events celebrating local history and customs like the Klondike Gold Rush and Midnight Sun phenomenon.
In addition, the cruise line’s land and sea vacation packages will offer flexible ways to delve deeper into the fascinating Alaska frontier. Land tours are combined with a seven-day “Voyage of the Glaciers” cruise and include the company’s premier wilderness lodges, luxurious “Direct to the Wilderness” domed rail service, plus visits to the top two attractions in Alaska – Glacier Bay National Park and Denali National Park.
All 2016 Alaska cruises open for bookings on March 12, 2015.
“Princess continues to build on ourlong-standing recognition as the best Alaska cruise vacation with compelling ways to see and experience The Great Land,” said Jan Swartz, president of Princess Cruises. “There’s no better way to see Alaska’s glaciers, wildlife and national parks than from the perspective of our spectacular ships, exclusive rail service and Princess-owned wilderness lodges.”
Princess’ 2016 Alaska cruise program includes:
With 106 departures from Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver and Whittier featuring 15 unique ports and destinations, options abound for exploring Alaska in 2016 aboard Princess ships, including:
- Voyage of the Glaciers – Princess’ most popular Gulf of Alaska offering sailings between Vancouver and Whittier features two glacier-viewing experiences on every voyage, with visits to the UNESCO-listed Glacier Bay National Park plus either Hubbard Glacier or College Fjord.
- Inside Passage –This breathtaking part of Alaska, known for its lush scenery and wildlife-filled fjords, will be featured on seven- and 10-day roundtrip voyages with the option to visit Glacier Bay on select sailings from Seattle and San Francisco.
Alaska Land and Sea Vacations Princess offers guests more than 20 add-on land tour options in 2016, most featuring multiple nights in the Denali area to fully enjoy the wonder of Mt. McKinley. New this year, guests will also be able to purchase a pre-paid meal package for the land portion of their cruisetour. Options include:
- Denali Explorer – As Princess’ most popular cruisetour option, this itinerary features multiple nights at the line’s Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge and/or Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge. Most offer Princess’ exclusive luxury rail service between Whittier and the dramatic Denali National Park area, traveling between the ship and Denali all in one day, plus the opportunity to explore Fairbanks or Anchorage.
- On Your Own – An affordable option for independent-minded travelers, these tours offer a flexible way to see the heart of Alaska. Tours follow similar routes as Denali Explorer options, but do not include any pre-planned excursions, giving travelers the opportunity to customize their own experience.
- Off the Beaten Path – These tours are designed to take travelers beyond Denali to more remote regions of the state such as the Kenai Peninsula and Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.
- Connoisseur – These cruisetour options offer the services of a professional tour director and additional time for guests to experience the Great Land. Offering the highest level of service, these tours include most meals and enhanced sightseeing options.
- Heart of the Rockies Plus Rail – This 14-night cruisetour originates in Calgary and includes daylight rail service on the Rocky Mountaineer. The fully escorted land tour combines with a seven-day northbound Voyage of the Glaciers cruise on Star Princess and includes most breakfasts and dinners. Spectacular overnight accommodations are offered at a choice of the Fairmont Palliser Hotel, Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise or Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.
More information about Princess’ 2016 Alaska cruise program can be found here.
Additional information about Princess Cruises is available through a professional travel consultant, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237) or by visiting the company’s website at http://www.princess.com.
Royal Caribbean International’s newest ship, Anthem of the Seas, will wow audiences with a show-stopping lineup of entertainment offerings that push the envelope far beyond imagination. From stage shows to multidimensional entertainment that seamlessly fuses technology with highly trained live performers, stunning visuals and special effects, Anthem of the Seas delivers an array of productions and performances that will leave audiences spellbound.
Seating 1,300 guests, the Royal Theater is home to Royal Caribbean’s two main shows:
- We Will Rock You – the smash hit musical featuring the greatest hits of legendary British rock group, Queen. Written by British comedian Ben Elton, the hilarious award-winning, record-breaking phenomenon is built around 24 of Queen’s greatest hits and tells the story of a group of Bohemians who struggle to restore the free exchange of thought, fashion and live music in a distant future where everyone dresses, thinks and does the same. Musical instruments and composers are forbidden, and rock music is all but unknown.
- The Gift – an original Royal Caribbean production created exclusively for Anthem, The Gift is a musical journey of fantasy and illusion that begins one stormy night with the arrival of a “Magical Gift”. A beautiful production that is sure to delight, inspire and touch the hearts of all who come to see it.
Two70, which is named for its magnificent 270-degree panoramic sea views provided by vast, floor-to-ceiling glass walls that span almost three decks high at the stern of the ship, is a multi-level great room that seamlessly fuses entertainment and technology to create a transformative journey for guests from morning to night. With the integration of Vistarama and Roboscreens, highly trained live performers, music and special effects, Two70 provides an endless landscape for Royal Caribbean to create stunningly visual, first-of-their-kind shows that can only be seen on Anthem of the Seas. Main shows include:
- Spectra’s Cabaret – an original Royal Caribbean production created by Moment Factory, exclusively for Two70 on Anthem of the Seas, features the Maestro and his Agents of Rhythm as they invite you to an electric multi-dimensional cabaret where you will be transported into invisible realms. Each night, the portal opens for a limited period of time and the audience immerses themselves in a multi-media show brimming with kaleidoscopic sounds, effervescent colors and dazzling movement. Spectra’s Cabaret blends live performance and experiential cinema along with music from popular culture. It creates a world seen through the lens of music and technology, all the while exploring the deepest recesses of the heart.
Cunard’s Big Band Ball marks Queen Elizabeth’s 5th birthday in 5 nights of music, dancing and celebration, 2-7 October 2015
Cunard is proud to announce a special sailing to mark Queen Elizabeth’s fifth birthday where guests will be invited take to the dance floor for a Big Band Ball, to celebrate this special birthday from 2-7 October 2015.
On October 4, 2010 Cunard officially took ownership of our youngest ship in the fleet, Queen Elizabeth, and for her fifth birthday we’ve organised a party that aims to get everyone In The Mood…
Originating from America in the 1920s, the Big Band phenomena took the world by storm, as large band ensembles delighted audiences with electrifying, high energy performances. During Queen Elizabeth’s 5 night cruise to Amsterdam and Bruges (from Zeebrugge) guests will be invited to relive the heyday of Swing and Jazz at the ship’s own Big Band Ball.
Angus Struthers, Cunard’s Marketing Director said:
“Fantastic music, a magnificent setting and a special birthday to celebrate should make for a real party feel as we mark the fifth year since our youngest ship, Queen Elizabeth, joined the Cunard fleet. On this special occasion we’re aiming to recreate the heyday of the 1940s Big Band sound, inviting passengers to join us for an evening of glamour in the Queen’s Ballroom enjoying some of the headiest dance music ever written. The ship will be pulling all the stops out to make sure everything really goes with a Swing.”
On 3 October, the eve of Queen Elizabeth’s 5th birthday, guests on board can look forward to a classic black tie gala dinner with a specially crafted commemorative menu to mark the occasion. Then they will be welcomed to the Queen’s Ballroom by the ship’s 14 piece band, as it strikes up hits from some of the most successful artists of the era including Glenn Miller, Ted Heath, Count Basie and Duke Ellington. Vocalists will add material drawn from the back catalogues of Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Sarah Vaughan and The Rat Pack as well as more recent performers such as Michael Buble, Jamie Cullum and Harry Connick Jr to create the social ball of the year. Under glittering chandeliers, the band will aim to keep the dance floor filled before guests gather for a midnight countdown to Queen Elizabeth’s official birthday.
During the five night cruise, guests can also enjoy sounds from other eras, including one of the UK’s best tribute 60s acts, The Overtures, noted for performing at Elton John and David Furnish’s civil partnership, who will appear twice. Historian Eric Flounders will bring the history of Cunard to life as part of the Insight Speakers programme, while acclaimed comedian Mike Miller will add touches of humour.
A Balcony stateroom for the 5 night sailing 2-7 October 2015 on Queen Elizabeth (Q518) starts from £759 per person with Cunard Fares, sailing from Southampton to Amsterdam for an overnight stay and Zeebrugge (for Bruges), then back to Southampton – and with no flight restrictions, passengers can take as much luggage as they like! Book before 28 February and there’s $100 per person to spend on board, with our compliments.
Read more at Cunard’s website.
Pleasant Holidays is offering new vacation packages to Hawai‘i with reduced airfares and exclusive hotel resort offers. The travel company says its added value and reduced rates can save travelers up to $800 per day year-round on deals that include round-trip airfare.
“Airfares to Hawai‘i for travel in 2015 are lower than last year especially from the West Coast markets, in some cases as much as 35 percent lower when compared to 2014,” said Jack E. Richards, president and CEO of Pleasant Holidays. “Travelers should take advantage of these lower fares and exclusive resort offers and book their dream vacation to Hawai‘i today.”
For more information or to make a reservation, visit PleasantHolidays.com, call (877) 744-1622, or consult with your travel agent.
Read the full story here.
The 100 day countdown to the most spectacular gathering of the Cunard fleet officially gets underway on Valentine’s Day, Saturday 14 February. Just 100 days later, on 25 May, up to one million spectators are expected to gather as Cunard’s three Queens perform a magnificent salute to its ‘spiritual home’ of Liverpool.
The official 100 day digital countdown clock was unveiled by the Chair of Merseytravel, Councillor Liam Robinson at the Mersey Ferries Pier Head Terminal ready for one of the most romantic days of the year, St. Valentine’s Day. Joining him were loyal Cunarders, 26-year-old Scott Sandison and his 24-year-old fiancée Lauren Hayes from Edinburgh, who in 2007 met as teenagers on board QE2, with Scott proposing on stage six years later in front of hundreds of people on board Cunard’s Queen Victoria.
Unveiling the clock, Councillor Liam Robinson the Chairman of Merseytravel said:
“Cunard’s three Queens spectacular will be a global event hosted by Liverpool. The celebration of Cunard’s 175th anniversary presents a huge opportunity for the city and I am delighted that Merseytravel will play its important part by transporting many of the tens of thousands of spectators who will converge on both sides of the River Mersey to witness the ships salute their spiritual home.
“The Mersey Ferries in particular will have a very important role providing unique vantage points and the vital Tender Service to Queen Victoria when she is at anchor in the Mersey.
“Three Queens, One Magnificent City will be a unique moment in Merseyside maritime history and it is entirely fitting that our world-famous Ferries will be part of it. The Fleet Is Coming – in 100 days!”
On 25 May, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth will arrive in Liverpool to celebrate Cunard’s 175th anniversary year in dramatic fashion. The three Queens will meet on the famous Liverpool waterfront, performing manoeuvres in close formation to create a spectacular one-off event that will draw hundreds of thousands of people to the banks of the Mersey.
Celebrating the countdown to the magnificent event and St. Valentine’s Day, Lauren and Scott were invited to help unveil the clock after Cunard learnt about their love story. After first meeting on board QE2 the couple continued their long distance romance, even though it meant a 350 mile trip with Scott living in Glasgow and Lauren in Cambridge. Six years later the Gold Cunard World Club Members, who now live in Edinburgh, are planning to make their fifth cruise with Cunard their honeymoon.
Lauren said: “We’re both really honoured to be here today. We’ve got a huge emotional connection to Cunard, given our history with the company, and it’s just really special and exciting to be involved in such a big way like this. We’ve always felt part of the family when we’ve been on Cunard ships. For example we’ve both known one of the staff, Jessie Boy, longer than we’ve known each other! He was there when we met on QE2 and when we got engaged on Queen Victoria and hopefully we can arrange for him to be at our wedding!”
On 4 July 1840, Cunard’s first ship, Britannia, left the Mersey and changed the face of ocean travel forever by establishing the first scheduled service across the Atlantic. Queen Mary 2 will return to the cruise terminal on 4 July 2015, 175 years later to the day, to recreate the voyage of that first Cunard ship from Liverpool to Halifax and Boston. Today’s flagship will then continue on New York.
For more information about Cunard’s 175th anniversary crossings please visit www.cunard.co.uk. For those interested in following us on Twitter you can find us at @CunardLine or like our Facebook page www.facebook.com/cunard. Share your favourite memories with #ForeverCunard. May 2015 will see Cunard return to its spiritual home in Liverpool, to celebrate its 175th anniversary. Cunard’s three Queens – Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria – will meet on the famous Liverpool waterfront in a spectacular one-off event that will draw tens of thousands of people to the banks of the Mersey. Queen Mary 2 will then return to the cruise terminal on 4th July to recreate the voyage of the first Cunard ship, Britannia, from Liverpool to New York.
What better way to celebrate Presidents’ Day than by booking one of Collette’s American tours? Collette offers tons of tours right in our own backyard that are filled with rich history, beauty and charm. From east to west, Collette introduces you to the people and places that represent the spirit of this great country. A few of Collette’s American Heritage tours include:
Islands of New England8 days starting at $1749*
- At Plimoth Plantation, journey back to the 1620s when the Mayflower landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- Come to know Boston’s Yankee charm during a tour highlighting Beacon Hill, the Old South Meeting House, Boston Public Gardens, the historic North End, Old North Church, and Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
Heritage of America10 days starting at $2299*
- Travel to Philadelphia and embark on a tour of “the Birthplace of a New Nation” which highlights the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.
- Journey to Gettysburg, site of the Union victory that marked a turning point in the Civil War. A guided tour illuminates the decisive battle that changed the course of American history forever.
- Visit Colonial Williamsburg, one of the largest and best living history museums in the world. Costumed re-enactors populate the streets and buildings, bringing the customs of 1770 to life.
Spotlight on Washington, D.C.7 days starting at $1749*
- Delight in wonderful views of the White House, National Mall and many monuments and museums. Then, continue with stops at the moving World War II Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the Korean War Memorial.
- Visit Mount Vernon, the beloved home of the first U.S. president, George Washington.
- Visit Arlington National Cemetery for a narrated tour including the Tomb of the Unknowns and the Kennedy gravesites.
To book your tour, visit www.gocollette.com or call 855-370-8687.
*Rates are per person, land only, double occupancy.
On an AmaWaterways river cruise, you don’t just pass through a destination – you experience it. We pair our amazing cruise itinerary in Vietnam and Cambodia with an exceptional land program to create the ultimate exotic adventure. This way, our guests can experience even more of the enlightening culture and mysterious wonders that these countries have to offer. Because it’s not just about where you go – it’s how you get there that matters.
Book now and you can save up to $2,500 per stateroom on select departures listed below.
Ha Long Bay
7-night cruise from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City
2015 Embarkation Dates: April 6; June 29; July 13, 27;
August 10, 17, 24, 31; September 7, 14, 21, 28
Rates starting from: $2,999 $1,049
Aboard the AmaLotus or AmaDara
For reservations please contact your Travel Agent
Cunard to host first-ever Blue Note jazz themed cruise onboard 29 October Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Crossing. Blue Note 75th Anniversary All Star Band, Our Point of View, to perform
Cunard and venerable jazz label Blue Note Records are proud to announce an exciting entertainment partnership, which will debut on Cunard’s flagship, Queen Mary 2, on 29 October, 2015. Guests onboard will embark on a very special Transatlantic Crossing, featuring intimate jazz performances by the Blue Note 75th Anniversary All Star Band, Our Point of View, formed for the label’s milestone anniversary in 2014. The supergroup celebrates the vitality of Blue Note by looking ahead and assembling leading young artists on the Blue Note roster who steadfastly continue to move jazz forward. Featuring keyboardist Robert Glasper, trumpeter Keyon Harrold, tenor saxophonist Marcus Strickland, guitarist Lionel Loueke, bassist Derrick Hodge, and drummer Kendrick Scott, the band’s repertoire draws from each of these artists’ own remarkable catalogs as well new spins on Blue Note classics.
President of Blue Note Records, Don Was, who himself is a celebrated musician and Grammy® Award winning producer for Bonnie Raitt and the Rolling Stones, will also sail on the voyage and participate in Q&A sessions. Jazz lovers can look forward to two more special cruises in 2016, and Don will personally hand pick those artists from Blue Note Record’s renowned group of musicians.
Don commented: “Together, Cunard and Blue Note have accumulated 200 years of excellence and integrity in their respective fields. Combining both companies is monumental – we’re going to have a ball!”
This unique partnership celebrates the two historic, yet innovative, industry leaders. Founded in 1939 by Alfred Lion, Blue Note Records is the most revered and longest running jazz label in the world. Embarking on its 175th anniversary in 2015, Cunard was the first to offer regularly scheduled Transatlantic service and has been carrying guests between continents with luxury, sophistication and sense of occasion ever since.
“We are thrilled to work with such an iconic record label and bring the legendary Blue Note sounds of jazz to our guests,” said Richard Meadows, president, Cunard, North America. “We are dedicated to offering memorable entertainment experiences while maintaining the integrity of Cunard’s rich heritage, and this partnership truly personifies that commitment.”
Through the decades, Blue Note Records has recorded countless legends including Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Horace Silver, Herbie Hancock, Norah Jones and Van Morrison.
Cunard is known for offering guests unique access to some of the most beloved musicians and entertainers in the world, including James Taylor, Carly Simon, and the late jazz legend Dave Brubeck. Guests on upcoming jazz voyages will rub shoulders with the jazz greats of today, and be treated to a series of unforgettable live performances in elegant Queen Mary 2 spaces including the world class Royal Court Theatre, with special evening performances in the ship’s Illuminations theatre.
For more information on how to book your reservation, visit cunard.com or call (800) 728-6273.
Blue Note is a registered trademark of Capitol Records, LLC
For those seeking a quick getaway, Crystal Cruises has curated a number of shorter, convenient 5- to 10-day itineraries that showcase favorite must-see destinations. Plus, take advantage of limited-time Book Now fares starting at $1,995 per person when you book by March 2, 2015!
The All Inclusive Crystal Experience® is renowned for its ultra-luxe amenities and services, as well as unparalleled value including:
- Complimentary select fine wines, champagne and premium spirits.
- Complimentary gratuities for all dining, bar, housekeeping and Penthouse butler staff.
- Complimentary evening of specialty restaurant dining at least once in Silk Road or the Sushi Bar celebrating the cuisine of Nobu Matsuhisa, and at least once in Prego. Additional reservations or walk-in visits available for a modest fee.
- Complimentary enrichment via the innovative Creative Learning Institute® and Computer University@Sea® with classes in diverse topics such as world affairs, wellness, art, wine appreciation, digital photography and iPad filmmaking.
- Complimentary fitness programs with classes in yoga, mat Pilates, Spinning®, and so much more!
Visit crystalcruises.com to explore our Europe offers.
Cunard is thrilled to welcome multi-talented artist and Emmy® and Golden Globe® winning actress Jane Seymour aboard Queen Mary 2 for a special Transatlantic Crossing from New York to Southampton on 3 June 2015.
During the Crossing, Seymour will share her insights with guests during two Q&A sessions with Queen Mary 2’s Entertainment Director, as well as participate in a screening of one of her many films. In addition to her starring roles on screen, Seymour has fashioned a formidable career as an artist, known for her delicate watercolors and vibrant oil paintings. As a very special part of the voyage, she will conduct painting classes for passengers, which will be available on a first-come, first-served basis for a minimal fee. Guests will also have the opportunity to attend a book-signing session with Seymour during the voyage.
“I am honored to be invited into Cunard’s Insights program and to join the many special guests and luminaries who have sailed with Cunard over the years”, said Jane Seymour. “I fondly recall sailing on the QE2 and am looking forward to being onboard once again in this special 175th Anniversary year.”
Although she is most famous for her roles in Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, James Bond’s Live and Let Die, cult classic Somewhere in Time, and the comedy smash Wedding Crashers, Seymour unleashes her creativity through many other artistic channels as well – as a designer, writer, painter and art gallery owner.
When Seymour began to explore and focus on her love of art, she created the Open Hearts symbol: two hearts connected and open on either end, which symbolize how love flows without boundaries. This symbol, now synonymous with the actress, became a jewelry line for KAY Jewelers and it also led her to start the Open Hearts Foundation, a nonprofit charity established to raise funds to enrich the lives of children in the areas of health, arts, sports and education.
Seymour’s career as a writer is also driven by her Open Heart philosophy and is equally impressive. She has written over ten books including Open Hearts Family, Among Angels, Open Hearts, and Remarkable Changes, and she co-authored a series of children’s books. She is the recipient of the Officer of the British Empire, an honor bestowed upon her by Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace in 2000, and has also earned a Star on the acclaimed Hollywood Walk of Fame.
“We look forward to welcoming the versatile Jane Seymour to the Cunard Insights programme. We know our guests will enjoy hearing about her significant contributions in entertainment, the lifestyle arts, and philanthropy,” said Richard Meadows, president of Cunard, North America. “Her sailing will be a highlight of our 2015 Crossing season.”
For 175 years, Cunard’s Transatlantic Crossing has appealed to a broad range of headlining entertainers. Hollywood legends including Elizabeth Taylor, Rita Hayworth, Cary Grant and Clark Gable frequently crossed the Atlantic on Cunard’s earlier Queens, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. Since Queen Mary 2’s debut 10 years ago, the ship has also welcomed other film luminaries including George Lucas, Uma Thurman, John Cleese, Angela Bassett, and most recently Wes Anderson, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman and Roman Coppola.
For more information about Queen Mary 2 and to book a voyage, contact your Travel Consultant, call Cunard toll-free at 1-800-728-6273, or go to www.cunard.com